Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Last Book You've Read?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Last Book You've Read?

Thanks Tac!! I love reading, but I am NOT one of those chicks that likes the mushy stuff, have always enjoyed mystery, adventure, shoot-em-ups, and sci-fi. Obviously I'm not able to share books with too many of my friends, because I can't stomach the Harlequin trash novels.

I do appreciate the book suggestions and insight. Glad Elgalad started this thread. Sure do miss him.

I am also an avid reader and I keep the library busy. When I was travelling for work I was spending a fortune on paperbacks. No that I am retired, the library is #1 source, used books #2.

I love history books, and for historical fiction, Roman history, Colleen McCullough has a series of six books that are great, and pretty accurate. They should be read in order.

Just finished re-reading The Inferno by Dante Aleghieri. I'm guessing the Mooselems have this book on their Index, so if you ever fall under Sharia Law, you'd better find a good hiding place for it.

I stood and stared at him from the stone shelf;
    He noticed me and opening his own breast
    with both hands cried: “See how I rip myself!”

See how Mahomet’s mangled and split open!
    ahead of me walks Ali in his tears,
    his head cleft from the top-knot to the chin.

And all the other souls that bleed and mourn
    along this ditch were sowers of scandal and schism:
    as they tore others apart, so are they torn.
    Canto XVIII

I couldn't resist using the following passage for my signature, although it stretches out all my posts. Maybe I should figure out a way to shrink it. Any thoughts?
    A golf course is a disgraceful misuse of a perfectly good shooting range. - Scott C

4. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Lucky for me RMH has a huge selection of books. There's every Grisham book in hardcover. Same with Mary Higgins Clark. These days I have been catching up on Nora Roberts books. I read a book by J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts in disguise) but it was so boring I didn't finish.

Interestingly, I found "Lady's Maid" about Elizabeth Barrett's maid. I'm ashamed to admit that I knew very little about either Elizabeth Barrett or Robert Browning before picking up this book. So far it is a great book. I know you would like it, Terry :)

I read Elizabeth Barrett's poems a long long time ago. My favorite was

" Yes !" I answered you last night ;
    " No !" this morning, Sir, I say !
    Colours, seen by candle-light,
    Will not look the same by day."

As an aside, I always thought Elizabeth Barrett had depression or lupus or some such ailment. How interesting that her sickness has been deciphered after 150 years as HKPP (hypokalemic periodic paralysis) It involves potassium trapped in the cells.

The last book I finished was Creole Belle by James Lee Burke. I've read nearly all of his "Dave Robicheaux" novels and they never disappointment me.

I'm currently reading Killing Lincoln by Bill "The Neo-Con Gasbag" O'Reilly and Martin Dugard on my Kindle. It's much better than I thought it would be. It offers interesting insight about the relationship and mutual respect between President Lincoln and General Grant. I've read much about Grant and Lee and I knew that they each attended West Point and met briefly during the Mexican War. However, I didn't know that the dapper Lee dressed down the frumpy Grant when he returned from a cavalary patrol in Mexico looking less than ready for the parade field. Evidently the sensitive Ulysses never forgot this incident. I can't say as I blame him! It would irritate me to no end if I returned from a long patrol all nasty from living in the same clothes without a shower for days and some officer in garrsion told me to square away my dusty boots and uniform.

I'm re-reading The Man in the High Castle by Phillip K. Dick. It's a revisionist history novel set in the post WWII U.S. This time the Axis has defeated the Allies and divided the country into a Japanese and German occupied sectors divided by the Rocky Mountains. Dick's books have been written into screenplays for the movies "Bladerunner" and "Total Recall". If you think the movies were weird check out P.K. Dick's novels.
    Last edited by SophisticatedRedneck; 11-25-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak, and that it is doing God's service when it is violating all His laws.

John Adams

Sophisticated Redneck
    Proud Infidel
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Member:
    American Legion
    Fleet Reserve Association
    Lifetime Member of the National Rifle Association
    Single Action Shooters Society

Other than The Bible and various WWII reference books for ongoing "projects" ...

The American Axis ...

http://www.amazon.com/The-American-A.../dp/0312290225

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ame...he_Third_Reich

http://www.nthposition.com/theamericanaxis.php

"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
    -- Winston Churchill

County Board Member: "Mr. Prasse, we'd love to vote our ideals, but we have to vote for reality"
    C.B. Member Prasse replies: "We have this reality because you refuse to vote your ideals"

7. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

The Twelve Casears, by Suetonius. Rollercoaster reading. You think Washington is bad? It's Sunday School compared to Ancient Rome. Man, those Romans were something else.

Now I am re-reading Anna Karenina. I'm also in the middle of a detective story about perfume, my favorite topic. I seldom wait till I finish one book before I start the next one (I don't read them simultaneously, of course). So many books, so little time.

POLITICIANS ARE NOT BORN. THEY ARE EXCRETED. -- Cicero

A liberal is a person who knows that he/she is not clever enough to argue with a conservative, but still believes the conservative is wrong.

CYNIC: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.

WASHINGTONIAN
    : a Potomac tribesman who exchanged the privilege of governing himself for the advantage of good government.

POLITICS; a strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.

POLITICIAN
    : and eel in the fundamental mud upon which the superstructure of organized society is reared. When he wriggles he mistakes the agitation of his tail for the trembling of the edifice. As compared wth the statesman, he suffer the disadvantage of being alive.

POLITENESS
    :
    the most acceptable form of hypocrisy.
    The Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce

UK Re: Last Book You've Read?

Quote Originally Posted by Atty Tude View Post
    The Twelve Casears, by Suetonius. Rollercoaster reading. You think Washington is bad? It's Sunday School compared to Ancient Rome. Man, those Romans were something else.
    Yeah but they sure knew how to throw a party! Seriously, I may ave to check that book out. One of my goals is to travel to historical sites in the British Isles where the Romans left their legacy. Given my geneology I'm no doubt the descendant of some of the "rough necks" that forced Emporer Hadrian to order his legionaires to build a wall across ancient England in 122 A.D. One of these days I'd like to visit the wall and hike along it and find a cozy pub where I can drink a pint in honor of those people who refused to be conquered by the Romans.
    Last edited by SophisticatedRedneck; 11-26-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak, and that it is doing God's service when it is violating all His laws.

John Adams

Sophisticated Redneck
    Proud Infidel
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Member:
    American Legion
    Fleet Reserve Association
    Lifetime Member of the National Rifle Association
    Single Action Shooters Society

9. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

A book on James Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by Atty Tude View Post
    Fantastic book Atty! The Romans would be laughing their togas off at the fools we have running this country. But then they had their share of fools also.

Thread Information